Wednesday 12 March 2014

Let's go on holiday


St Christopher’s foster carer Connie has shared with us her experience of taking six teenage boys abroad, including her severely autistic foster child. We are sure you will agree it is a heartwarming post with some great tips and tricks.

It’s Holiday Planning Time guys:
 
Holiday time looms and it’s time to start planning where this year will take us. It takes me back to our holiday abroad two years ago which I will share with you.

I asked where do you even start planning taking three teenage boys with disabilities abroad including one with severe autism who tends to slap people at times?

I decided to do it. My teenage son, Ryan, said he would also come and then asked a couple of friends along also. So there I was, now off on holiday abroad with SIX teenage boys. Lucky me!
 
Positive mental attitude. I thought and knew anything was possible when you have a positive frame of mind as it also has a positive affect on the kids.
 
Next step was to plan the destination. My son says Ibiza, I say “yes”. “Oh no” I hear you say but read on and all will become clear.

I discussed my plans with each social worker and my supervising social worker. They were unsure but had faith in me. I got permission in writing from each as this must be obtained when taking the children abroad.

I booked a hotel just far enough outside the main town -- all Inclusive as the boys could then help themselves whenever they fancied and gave them some more independence to make their own choices of food.

When the time came, six very excited boys and I went off we went on our adventure.

At check-in the lady smiled as I was with all these children with different names. That was funny. I then played a good card by saying one of my boys had severe autism and may slap someone in the queues going forward. She arranged for us to be first on the plane. Great excitement. I did the same on the way back!

We loved the plane journey and smooth transfer to hotel. My main bit of advice here is to keep talking to the kids as it keeps their interest and stops them getting bored and maybe arguing with each other. All helps.

Seeing us safely to the hotel, my son and his friends took their leave to explore. Call us if you need us otherwise see you on time we agreed to return.

Now to go to the swimming pool which was my main worry as it may be too packed for my autistic child. Luck struck and it was empty, yes empty!  Few stragglers round the pool side but lots of sun beds and empty pool. Have you guessed why?

Yes, of course, being Ibiza, lots of the youngsters were out most of the night and in bed all day. Hence we had the pool to ourselves. Happy days!

The hotel was far enough outside town for it to be nice and quiet. We had the pool mainly to ourselves every day, went swimming in the sea, took part in the evening shows and generally had a good time. 

Fantastic time, we all enjoyed it and would certainly return there.

Moral of my story is don’t look at any negatives if undecided about taking your child on holiday. Make your mind up, go for it and make it work. It did for me and my boys are still talking about it now. One has gone back to his family but still calls to say he would like to be off to Ibiza in the summer. 

We make memories for our children they will treasure for life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment